How to Play Avi Movies with Subtitles on Playstation 3
Want to play AVI movies with SRT subtitles on your Playstation 3?
Subtitles don't show up while playing AVI files on your PS3?
It's because the Playstation 3 can't read .srt subtitle files.
Fortunately, there is an easy and quick solution.
You will need to merge the srt subtitle file with your AVI video file and this tutorial will show you step by step how to easily and quickly do this by using the free and small program AVIAddXSubs.
AVIAddXSubs allows you to merge a srt subtitle file with a AVI video file in only 1 to 2 minutes and you even don't to install this program on your computer.
The Playstation 3 is not only a gaming console, because you can also use it for playing movies, tv shows, cartoons, anime or other types of videos from a usb flash drive, external hard drive or disc.
But when you want to watch a divx or avi file with srt subtitles, the subs don't show up. It's because the Ps3 doesn't support srt subtitle files.
So why doesn't the Ps3 support these files ?
I think it's because Sony Pictures Entertainment (the television and film production/distribution unit of Sony) associates these files with torrent movies and these torrent movies are illegal and free to download, so Sony loses a lot of money because of this. This is just my thought about it.
How to Play AVI Files with SRT Subs on the PS3
Step One: Download Subtitles
First you need to find and download subtitles for your movie, tv show, documentary, cartoon or any other video you want to watch with subs. Good and free websites for downloading subtitles are Subscene.com, Yifysubtitles.com and Opensubtitles.org. The most common subtitle format for divx and avi is SRT (SubRipText).
Step Two: Add Subtitles to Your Avi File
Place the srt subtitle file in the same folder as the avi file and give the two files exact the same name like in the example below. It is very important that they have exact the same name (case sensitive).
Step Three: Download & Install Wine (for Linux or Mac OS X)
If you have windows installed on your computer then skip this step.
The program AVIAddXSubs is actually build for Windows, but it also works on your Linux or Mac OS X computer when "Wine" is installed. So the first thing you need to do is to download and install "Wine" on your none Windows computer.
"Wine" is free software that allows you to run many (not all) Windows-based programs on computers with other operating systems like Linux or Mac OS X. Wine doesn't do any CPU emulation, so it's not an emulator, therefore, the name "Wine Is Not an Emulator".
Wine Download Links
How to use Wine on Linux (link opens in a new window).
How to use Wine on Mac OS X (link opens in a new window).
Step Four: Merge SRT with AVI
AVIAddXSubs is the program we use to merge the srt subtitle with the avi file to one file.
It's a really small program with about 900Kb on file size and you don't even need to install it on your computer.
You can download AVIaddXSubs here.
You will only need to unzip the "AVIAddXSub.zip" file.
1. Doubleclick on "AVIAddXSubs.exe" to open the program.
2. Click on the ... button located at "filename(s)(.avi or .srt or .idx).Or folder(s)".
3. Go to the location on your computer where the AVI and SRT files are stored.
4. Open the folder that contains the AVI and SRT file.
Note: You won't see the SRT file, but that's normal.
5. Select the AVI file and click on "Open".
6. Click on "Start" and AVIAddXSubs will merge the SRT file with the AVI file in just 1 or 3 minutes. The time it takes depends on the file size of the video and the speed of your computer.
7. When the merging is done, you click on "Exit" to close the program.
8. Open the folder that contains the AVI and SRT file.
9. Now you will see two video files. The DIVX video file is the one you will need to play on your Playstation 3.
You can copy the DIVX file to USB flash drive or external hard drive or you can also burn it to a CD or DVD.
Note: This method works also for other devices that don't support SRT subtitles, like the Xbox 360, Xbox One and iPad.
How to Turn on Subtitles on a Ps3
Press while playing a movie, tv show, documentary, cartoon or any other video on the triangle ▲ button of your controller to open a menu.
Then press with the X button on the subtitle option to turn on subtitles.
You May Also Like
- How to Play Movies, Music & Photos from USB on Playstation 3
- How to Play Avi Movies with Subtitles on a Xbox 360 & Ps3
- How to Copy Movies, Music & Photos to Ps3 Hard Disk
- How to Play Movies & Music from External Hard Disk on the Sony Ps3
- How to Stream Movies, Videos, Music & Photos from PC to Playstation 3
- Playstation 3