How to Merge SRT, IDX or SUB Subtitles with MKV in Seconds
This tutorial will show you step by step how to merge SRT, IDX and SUB subtitles with a MKV movie using the free program MKVToolNix.
MKVToolNix is a small program which allows you to combine SRT, IDX and SUB subtitle files with MKV video files in just seconds.
With this free tool you can also merge multiple subtitle files with a MKV video file.
This tool is made for Windows and Mac OS X computers and you can even download and use the portable version on a USB flash drive or external hard drive.
Maybe you are also interested in:
How to Merge Subtitles with MKV Movies using MKVToolNix
This will embed (hardcode) the subtitles into your MKV movie (video) permanently.
1. Make sure that the subtitle file(s) are placed in the same folder as the MKV video file.
2. The subtitle file(s) must have exactly the same file name as the MKV video file.
3. Download MKVToolNix here (it's free).
MKVToolNix is a set of free tools to create, split, edit, mux, demux, merge, extract or inspect MKV video files.
On the download page, you will also have the option to download the portable version, which you can save to a USB flash drive or external hard drive.
I always download the installer and install MKVToolNix on my PC.
4. Install MKVToolNix on your computer.
Or if you've downloaded the portable version, then you can skip this step.
5. Open MKVToolNix.
6. Click on the "+ Add source files" button located at the bottom.
7. Go to the location on your computer where the MKV and subtitle file(s) are stored.
8. Select the MKV file and subtitle file(s) (.srt, .sub or .idx) and click on "Open".
9. At "Destination file" (located at the bottom), you can view and change the location on your computer where MKVToolNix will save the new MKV video file.
10. When you're ready, you click on the "Start multiplexing" button located at the bottom.
MKVToolNix will now merge the SRT and/or IDX and SUB subtitles with the MKV movie (video) in just seconds.
Maybe you're also interested in: