How to merge srt, idx or sub subtitles with an MKV video in seconds
This tutorial will show you step by step how to merge (combine) SRT, IDX, and SUB subtitles with an MKV video file in just a few seconds.
You can also merge multiple subtitle files with an MKV video file.
How to merge subtitles with MKV movies using MKVToolNix
MKVToolNix is a set of free tools to create, split, edit, mux, demux, merge, extract, and inspect MKV video files.
It's available for Windows, macOS, and Linux.
You can install this tool on your computer, or you can use the portable version.
You can download MKVToolNix here (official website).
The following steps will show you how to permanently embed (hardcode) the subtitles into your MKV movie.
1. Make sure that the subtitle file is in the same folder as the MKV video file.
2. Make sure that the subtitle file has the same filename as the MKV video file.
3. Open MKVToolNix.
4. Click on the + Add source files button located at the bottom.
A “Add media files” window will appear.
5. Go to the location on your computer where the MKV video and subtitle file(s) are stored.
6. Select the MKV video file and subtitle file(s) (.srt, .sub or .idx).
7. Click on the Open button.
8. In the Destination file section (located at the bottom), you can view and change the location on your computer where MKVToolNix will save the new MKV video file.
You can change the location by clicking on the (folder) button located next to the “Destination file” field.
9. When you're ready, you click on the Start multiplexing button located at the bottom.
MKVToolNix will now merge the SRT or IDX or SUB subtitles with the MKV video file in a few seconds.
Maybe you're also interested in: