How to create a website shortcut on the desktop of your PC
This tutorial will show you step by step how to create (place) a website shortcut on the desktop of your computer in Microsoft Windows 8 and 10.
You can make an Internet shortcut on your desktop for any website, such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google, Instagram, Yahoo, Tumblr, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Wikipedia, Amazon, Netflix, Reddit, IMDb, eBay, MSN, or any other website you like.
The steps on this page work for all web browsers, such as Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Brave, and all other web browsers.
How to create a website shortcut on the desktop of your PC (method 1)
1. Open your web browser.
2. Go to the website from which you want to place a shortcut on the desktop of your PC.
3. Minimize your web browser window slightly so that you can see both the browser window and the desktop.
4. You will see a lock icon 🔒 in the address bar of your web browser. Click on the lock icon and drag the icon to the desktop of your PC.
The website shortcut is now on the desktop of your PC.
How to create a website shortcut on the desktop of your PC (method 2)
1. Open your web browser.
2. Go to the website from which you want to create a shortcut on the desktop of your PC.
3. Right-click on the web address (URL) located in the address bar of your web browser and then click on Copy.
4. Close or minimize the web browser window.
5. Right-click on your desktop > New > Shortcut.
A “Create Shortcut” window will appear.
6. Paste the web address (URL) in the location field. You can do this by right-clicking on the field and then click on Paste.
7. Click on the Next button.
8. Type a name for the website shortcut.
9. Click on the Finish button.
The website shortcut is now on the desktop of your computer.
Note: When you double-click on the shortcut, and Microsoft Windows asks to choose a program to open the shortcut with, you click on the Internet Browser option.
How to change the icon of a website shortcut
1. Download an icon in .ico format.
You can download free icons from websites, like iconfinder.com, findicons.com, and iconarchive.com.
2. Right-click on the website shortcut on your desktop and then click on Properties.
3. In the Web Document tab, you click on the Change Icon button.
A “Change Icon” window will appear.
4. Click on the Browse button.
Another “Change Icon” window will appear.
5. Within this window, you go to the location on your computer where the icon is that you've downloaded.
6. Select the icon.
7. Click on the Open button.
8. Click on the OK button at the bottom of the window.
9. Click on the Apply button at the bottom of the window.
10. Click on the OK button.
The icon of the website shortcut is now changed.
Maybe you're also interested in:
How to change an internet shortcut icon in Windows 10
How to save a webpage as a PDF in Firefox, Chrome, Edge & Brave