How to remove hardcoded subtitles from MKV video files
This tutorial will show you step by step how to easily and quickly remove hardcoded subtitles from MKV video files without cropping and converting.
(Hardcoded subtitles are embedded in the video/movie).
Related: How to merge subtitle files with MKV video files
How to delete hardcoded subtitles from an MKV video file using MKVToolNix
MKVToolNix is a handy set of free tools to create, alter, and inspect MKV video files.
You can download MKVToolNix here (official website).
1. Open MKVToolNix.
2. Click on the + Add source files button located at the bottom.
3. Go to the .mkv video file located on your computer.
4. Select the video file.
5. Click on Open.
6. In the Tracks, chapters and tags panel, you uncheck (deselect) subtitles.
Note: Do not uncheck (deselect) the video and audio.
7. At Destination file located below the Tracks, chapters and tags panel, you can view and change the location on your computer where MKVToolNix will save the new MKV video file.
8. Click on the Start multiplexing button at the bottom.
MKVToolNix will now create a new MKV video file, but without the hardcoded (embedded) subtitles. This process is fast because it doesn't convert the video. It only creates a new video file without subtitles.
Maybe you're also interested in:
How to hardcode srt, idx or sub subtitles to MKV video