Fix: Linux Mint & VirtualBox video hardware acceleration problem
This tutorial will show you step by step how to fix the “Cinnamon is currently running without video hardware acceleration” problem with Linux Mint in VirtualBox.
If you are running Linux Mint (Cinnamon) as a virtual machine in Oracle's VM VirtualBox and get the following error message;
Running in software rendering mode Cinnamon is currently running without video hardware acceleration and, as a result, you may observe much higher than normal CPU usage. There could be a problem with your drivers or some other issue. For the best experience, it is recommended that you only use this mode for troubleshooting purposes.
Then you are on the right page because this tutorial will show you step by step how to fix this problem.
The solutions are really easy and you don't need to have any knowledge of the Linux terminal, drivers or something similar.
Fix the Linux Mint and VirtualBox video hardware acceleration problem (2 solutions)
1. Enable 3D acceleration
1. If the Linux Mint virtual machine is running, then you will need to shut it down.
2. In Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager, you right-click on your Linux Mint Virtual Machine and choose Settings.
3. Click on Display at the left.
4. Check (select) Enable 3D Acceleration.
5. Click on OK.
6. Start the Linux Mint VM.
If the problem is not solved, then try the next solution to solve your problem.
2. Install guest additions
1. Start the Linux Mint virtual machine in VirtualBox.
2. In the top menu of the Virtual Machine window, you click on Devices and choose Insert Guest Additions CD image.
3. When you get the following message; “This medium contains software intended to be automatically started. Would you like to run it?”, you click on Run.
4. Enter your password and click on Authenticate (if needed).
A Terminal window will appear and run a command.
5. When the command is finished it will ask you “Do you wish to continue anyway? [yes or no]”. Enter yes and press Enter.
When the command is finished, you will get the following message; “You may need to restart the system (or restart the guest system) to enable the Guest Additions. Press Return to close this window”.
6. Enter exit and press Enter to close the terminal window.
7. Restart the Linux Mint virtual machine.