How to set and use an MP3 song as ringtone on Windows 10 Mobile
This tutorial will show you step by step how to set and use an MP3 song as a custom ringtone on Windows 10 Mobile (e.g., Nokia and Microsoft Lumia) in two different ways.
Windows 10 Mobile and MP3 ringtones
Windows 10 Mobile doesn't offer a way to tap on a song and choose “set as ringtone”, like with Android and iPhone smartphones.
Fortunately, there are two ways to set and use MP3 songs as ringtones.
How to set and use an MP3 song as ringtone on Windows 10 Mobile using a PC and USB cable
1. Connect your Windows 10 Mobile smartphone with the USB cable to your computer.
2. Go to the location on your PC where your music is stored.
3. Select the song(s) you want to use as a ringtone.
4. Right-click on the selected song(s) and choose Copy.
5. Open Windows Phone on your computer (like you do with a USB device).
6. Open the Phone folder.
Note: If you don't see the Phone folder, then you will probably need to unlock your phone (lock screen).
7. Open the Ringtones folder.
8. Right-click and choose Paste to copy the songs to this folder.
9. Disconnect your phone from your PC.
10. Take your phone and open Settings.
11. Open Personalization.
12. Open Sounds.
13. Tap on the Ringtone bar (current ringtone).
14. Go to the song you want to use as your new ringtone and tap on it.
15. Close settings.
How to set and use an MP3 song as ringtone on Windows 10 Mobile using ringtone maker app
This method works for music already stored on your phone.
Copying the songs from one folder on your phone to the ringtones folder on your phone doesn't work because the songs will not show up in the ringtones list. I've already tried that.
You can use a free application to create custom ringtones from the MP3 songs stored on your phone.
This application allows you to cut 40 seconds out of a song and then save it as a custom ringtone.
1. Open the Windows Store.
2. Tap on the search icon located at the top right of the Windows Store.
3. Search for Ringtone Maker (created by Microsoft Mobile).
Note: If you don't see Ringtone Maker by Microsoft Mobile, then you will need to enter ringtonemaker without space in between.
4. Install Ringtone Maker on your phone.
Now it's time to create a custom ringtone from your MP3 song.
5. Open the Ringtone Maker app.
6. Tap on pick a song.
7. Tap on the song you want to use as a ringtone.
8. Select 40 seconds of the song.
9. If you want to listen to the custom ringtone before you create it, then tap on the play icon located at the bottom.
10. Tap on the save icon to save your new custom ringtone.
Now it's time to set the custom ringtone that you've created as your new ringtone.
11. Open Settings.
12. Open Personalization.
13. Open Sounds.
14. Tap on the Ringtone bar (current ringtone).
15. Go to your custom ringtone and tap on it.
16. Close settings.
Maybe you're also interested in:
How to use MP3 music as a ringtone on a Nokia and Microsoft Lumia
How to set MP3 as a message tone on a Nokia and Microsoft Lumia
How to use MP3 as ringtone on Windows Phone 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Mobile