How to Change Your Default Browser in Windows 10 - 2 Easy Ways
This tutorial will show you step by step how to change your default web browser in Windows 10 in two different ways.
You can change it to Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera or any other browser.
And also what you can do when you can't set the default web browser in Windows 10 – except Microsoft Edge.
Change default browser in Windows 10 via:
Can't Set Default Browser in Windows 10 – except Microsoft Edge - Problem
You are using Windows 10 and just installed the latest version of your favorite web browser, like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera or any other web browser.
Now you want to make this browser your default web browser, so you open Settings, open "System", click on "Default apps", but when you choose Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera or another browser nothing happens.
You just can't make your favorite browser as default browser.
It's like, Windows 10 won't accept Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera or any other web browser as the default browser.
The only browser that is accepted, is Microsoft Edge.
I had the same problem.
Fortunately, I've found a solution that solved my problem.
The solution is to set your default browser via Windows Control Panel.
How to Change the Default Web Browser in Windows 10 via Control Panel
If you can't change the default web browser in Windows 10 (except Microsoft Edge) via Settings, then follow these steps to learn how to to this via Windows Control Panel.
- Open Windows Control Panel. To do this, right-click on the start menu button and choose "Control Panel".
- Click on "Programs".
- Click on "Default Programs".
- Click on "Set your default programs".
- In the "Programs" list located at the left side, you click on the web browser you want to make as your default browser.
- Click on "Set this program as default".
- Click on "OK".
- Close Control Panel.
How to Change the Default Web Browser in Windows 10 via Settings App
- Open Settings.
- Click on "System".
- Click on "Default apps" located in the left sidebar.
- Go to "Web browser".
- Click on "Choose a default" or click on your currently selected default web browser.
- Choose your browser from the pop up menu.
- Close Settings.
References and Sources: