How to Remove Malware (Virus) from Your Windows 7, 8 or 10 PC
This tutorial will show you step by step how to remove malware (virus) from your Windows 7, 8 or 10 PC using free malware scanners.
Malware short for “malicious software”, is software designed to damage or disrupt a system, steal information (spy on you), block access to your data or system, or destroy data.
Malware is a broad term used to describe many different types of malicious programs, such as computer virus, spyware, ransomware, rootkit, trojan horse, worm, etc.
If malware infects your PC it can cause all kinds of symptoms, such as:
- PC or Internet or both slow (a lot slower than usual).
- Web browser freezes a lot.
- Annoying unwanted pop-up windows and ads appear.
- You want to visit a website, but you are sent (redirected) to another (different) website.
- Programs start automatically.
- Unusual messages appear.
- Your antivirus program or its shields and update function is turned off (disabled).
- Access to the Control Panel, Task Manager, etc. is being blocked.
- Your PC restarts automatically (turns automatically off and on).
How to Get Rid of Malware on Your Windows 7, 8 or 10 PC
- Create a system restore point. If something goes wrong you can restore the mistake with a system restore point.
- Always scan your PC with multiple malware scanners to get more complete detection coverage, because some programs may detect malware that others might miss.
- Always double check the results of each scan and make sure that nothing important is selected for removal. Even malware scanners can make mistakes and sometimes see something harmless as a threat.
- If you are having problems installing or opening second opinion malware scanners, then start Windows in “Safe Mode with Networking” and try again.
If your PC is infected with malware (computer virus, spyware, rootkit, trojan horse, worm, etc.), and you want to be 100% sure that your system will be clean, then the best solution is to reinstall Windows or restore a system image backup that's 100% clean.
Well, if your antivirus software detected malware, then you will never know for sure if that's the only piece of malware that has infected your system.
Malware can dig itself deeper into your system and hide so that antivirus software cannot detect it. And it can also act as a door to let other malware in.
I know that many people don't want to reinstall Windows or don't have a system image backup, so that's why I will show you step by step how to remove malware from your infected Windows 7, 8 or 10 PC in a few different ways by using free malware removal tools.
Remove Malware using Free Malware Scanners
Like I said before, it's a good idea to scan your PC with multiple malware scanners, because some scanners may find malware that others might miss.
1. Open your antivirus program and update the program.
2. Perform a full system scan with your antivirus program and follow its instructions if it found malware.
3. Download and open Kaspersky TDSSKiller.
4. Scan your PC with Kaspersky TDSSKiller and follow its instructions if it found malware.
5. Download, install and open Malwarebytes (note: to download the free version, you will have to scroll down to the bottom of the page and then click on DOWNLOAD 14 DAY TRIAL. You will get the Premium version for the first 14 days and after the 14 days it will turn into the free version – which is an on-demand malware scanner).
6. Scan your PC with Malwarebytes and follow its instructions if it found malware.
7. Download, install and open Zemana Antimalware (for the download button of the free version you will have to scroll down to the comparison table).
8. Scan your PC with Zemana and follow its instructions if it found malware.
9. Download and open Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool.
10. Scan your PC with Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool and follow its instructions if it found malware.
11. Download and open ESET Online Scanner.
12. Scan your PC with ESET Online Scanner and follow its instructions if it found malware.
13. Download and open Emsisoft Emergency Kit.
14. Scan your PC with Emsisoft Emergency Kit and follow its instructions if it found malware.
15. Download and open AdwCleaner.
16. Scan your PC with AdwCleaner and follow its instructions if it found adware or other unwanted programs.
17. Download and open Norton Power Eraser.
18. Scan your PC with Norton Power Eraser and follow its instructions if it found malware.
That's all. I hope your Windows PC is clean now. If you want to learn more about computer and internet security (cybersecurity), then please visit one of the following pages (after the ad).
Maybe you're also interested in:
Malware: Types, Protection, Prevention, Detection, and Removal
Computer Virus: Types, Symptoms, Protection, and Removal