How to make part of a photo blurry (step by step)
This tutorial will show you step by step how to make part of a photo blurry using GIMP.
How to blur part of a photo using GIMP (free)
GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a free and open-source cross-platform image editor for Microsoft Windows, Linux, and macOS.
Tip! You should make a backup (copy) of the original photo before you edit it.
1. Open GIMP.
2. Click on File in the top left corner.
3. Click on Open.
A “Open Image” window will appear.
4. Within this window, you go to the location on your computer where the photo is.
5. Select the photo.
6. Click on the Open button.
7. Click in the top menu of GIMP on Tools > Selection Tools > Rectangle Select, or if you want to blur a round object in the photo, you click on Ellipse Select.
You can find the Rectangle Select tool also in the tool bar in the left top corner.
8. Select the part of the photo you want to make blurry.
9. Click in the top menu of GIMP on Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur.
A “Gaussian Blur” window will appear.
10. At Size X, you can select how much you want to blur the selected part of the photo.
11. Click on the OK button.
12. Click on File in the top left corner.
13. Click on Export or Export As.
A “Export Image” window will appear.
14. Select a location on your computer where you want to save the photo.
15. At Name, you type a name for the photo.
16. Click on the Export button.
A “Export Image as PNG” or “Export Image as JPG” window will appear with a few optional options.
17. Click on the Export button.
GIMP will now save the photo.
Maybe you're also interested in:
How to replace a color in a photo using GIMP
How to crop a photo into a circle shape
How to resize multiple photos at once in Windows 10
How to merge multiple photos into one PDF file in Windows 10
How to resize an image using Paint 3D on Windows 10
How to remove the background of an image in Windows 10