How to Fix the Linux Mint and VirtualBox Video Hardware Acceleration Problem
If you are running Linux Mint (Cinnamon) in Oracle VM VirtualBox and get the following error message:
Running in software rendering mode Cinnamon is currently running without video hardware acceleration and, as a result, you may observe much higher than normal CPU usage. There could be a problem with your drivers or some other issue. For the best experience, it is recommended that you only use this mode for troubleshooting purposes.
Then you are on the right page, because here I will show you in a few simple steps how to fix this problem.
Updated! This page contains now 2 solutions.
It's really easy and you don't need any knowledge of the Linux terminal, drivers or something similar.
Fix the Linux Mint and VirtualBox Video Hardware Acceleration Problem - 2 Solutions
1. Enable 3D Acceleration
1. If Linux Mint is running, then you will need to shut it down (properly).
2. In Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager, you right-click on your Linux Mint Virtual Machine and choose "Settings".
3. Click on "Display" located at the left.
4. Check (select) "Enable 3D Acceleration".
5. Click on "OK".
6. Start Linux Mint.
Hopefully you won't see the error message again. If the error warning still appears, then try the next solution to solve your problem.
2. Install Guest Additions
1. Start Linux Mint in VirtualBox.
2. Click on "Devices" located in the top menu and choose "Insert Guest Additions CD image".
3. When you get the following message: "This medium contains software intended to be automatically started. Would you like to run it?", you click on "Run".
4. Enter your password and click on "Authenticate" (if needed).
The Terminal will open and run a command.
5. When the command is finished it will ask you "Do you wish to continue anyway? [yes or no]". Enter "yes" and hit the Enter keyboard key.
6. Wait until the command is finished. When it's finished you will get the following message "You may need to restart the system (or just restart the guest system) to enable the Guest Additions. Press Return to close this window".
7. Enter "exit" and press Enter to close the terminal window.
8. Restart Linux Mint.
Hopefully your problem is solved.