How to install custom third-party themes in Windows 7
This tutorial will show you step by step how to install custom third-party themes in Windows 7.
How to install custom themes in Windows 7 using Universal Theme Patcher
To install custom third-party themes in Windows 7, you will need to patch Windows 7 first.
A patch is a piece of software designed to fix, customize, update or improve software.
Universal Theme Patcher is a free UxTheme Patcher that supports the 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) versions of Windows 7.
1. Download Universal Theme Patcher here.
2. Unzip the UniversalThemePatcher_20090409.zip file.
3. Open the UniversalThemePatcher_20090409.
4. For the 64-bit version of Windows 7, you double-click on UniversalThemePatcher-x64.exe.
For the 32-bit version of Windows 7, you double-click on UniversalThemePatcher-x86.exe.
5. Select your language and click on OK.
6. Click on Yes.
7. Click on the Patch button next to themeservice.dll.
8. Click on the Patch button next to themeui.dll.
9. Click on the Patch button next to uxtheme.dll.
Now you will see Restore buttons. You can use these buttons to restore the default files in future.
10. Restart your PC.
11. Search for a Windows 7 theme on Google.
There are many websites where you can download custom Windows 7 themes.
12. Download a Windows 7 theme.
Note: A theme folder should include a .theme file and a folder that contains a .msstyles file.
13. Select the .theme file and the folder that contains the .msstyles file.
14. Right-click on the selected file and folder and choose Copy.
15. Go to the following location on your computer: Local Disk(C:)\Windows\Resources\Themes.
16. Right-click on the Themes folder and choose Paste to copy the files to the Themes folder.
17. Double-click on the .theme file to activate the custom theme.