How To Install 3rd Party Custom Windows 7 Themes
Tired of the standard themes of Windows 7?
Then it's time to install custom 3rd party themes.
This tutorial will show you step by step how to install and use custom third party themes in Windows 7.
How To Install 3rd Party Custom Windows 7 Themes using Universal Theme Patcher
To install custom third-party themes you will need to patch Windows 7 first. A patch is a piece of software designed to fix, customize, update or improve software.
Universal Theme Patcher is a free UxTheme Patcher that's supported on the 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) versions of Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista, Server 2008 and Windows 7.
Note: Always pay attention during the installation of free software, because crapware (software you don't need) might be bundled with freeware, so read carefully with each step and uncheck any extra offer before clicking the "Next", "Continue" or "Install" button.
1. Download Universal Theme Patcher here.
2. Unzip the "UniversalThemePatcher_20090409.zip" file.
3. Open the folder (UniversalThemePatcher_20090409) which contains the unzipped files.
4. If you have a 64-bit version of windows 7, then double-click on "UniversalThemePatcher-x64.exe". If you have a 32-bit version of windows, then double-click on "UniversalThemePatcher-x86".
5. Select your language and click on "OK".
6. If the program asks you to patch system files, then click on "Yes" and the program will open its main interface.
7. Click on the "Patch" button located next to "themeservice.dll".
8. Click on the "Patch" button located next to "themeui.dll".
9. Click on the "Patch" button located next to "uxtheme.dll".
Note: After the files are patched, you will see "Restore" buttons which you can use to restore the default files in future.
10. Restart your PC.
11. Search for a Windows 7 theme on Google. There are many websites where you can download custom Windows 7 themes.
12. Download a Windows 7 theme.
Note: A theme folder should include a .theme file and a folder that contains a .msstyles file.
13. Select the .theme file and the folder that contains the .msstyles file.
14. Right-click on the selected file and folder and choose "Copy".
15. Go to the following location on your computer: Local Disk(C:)\Windows\Resources\Themes.
16. Right-click on the "Themes" folder and choose "Paste" to copy the files into the "Themes" folder.
17. Double-click on .theme file to activate the custom theme.